Monday, May 18, 2015

Burying Water--K.A Tucker




This is the second time I started this book. Originally I got the sample from Kindle but then couldn’t justify spending the money on the book. I just wasn’t involved with the characters and I didn’t understand why the story was told in “then” and “now”.  But then I received the book in my Bookworm Box. So I figured why the heck not?!

I think it was the point just after the sample ended that the story came to life. Jane Doe aka Water aka Alex woke up from a coma without any trace of who she was before her accident-- if you can call rape and attempted murder an accident.  She had quite a lot to recover from. She was in the hospital for about three months, in that time she had a roommate for a moment. That roommate was the doctor’s neighbor the quirky, kind of crazy, Ginny Fitzgerald.

In the short time they shared a room, Ginny grew to like Jane (as she was being called at the time), and with the doctors prompting Jane went to live with Ginny. Ginny was so far hidden behind her walls they were nearly impenetrable. Yet slowly Jane/Water began to break them down and ease her way into the stubborn woman’s life. They both shared similarities in their past, the only difference was Ginny remembered all of her past and Water didn’t.

Ginny and her quirks, I think, helped Water break out of her shell and fall into the person she was becoming. She got to create a new life for herself and find out what she really liked. Not just what was dictated or expected from others. Ginny pushed her but so did Meredith (her doctor and neighbor) and Amber (neighbor’s daughter). They helped her form relationships and a family. There was a word association game that they played, hoping to trigger memories.  They had to be there just hidden.  But the person who helped her the most was Jesse. She instantly felt a connection to him and didn’t know why. Everything with Jesse felt “normal” and easy.

Of course we know why that was because of Jesse’s point of view in the book. His point of view is told as the “then”.  We learned about how Alex and Jesse’s relationship was form and how the story moves to her attempted murder.  With Alex/Jane/Water’s point of view we find out how she preserved and continued with life and found love (albeit with the same person but love all the same).  I really enjoyed Jesse’s point of view but it was slightly repetitive.  Blah, blah, blah, cars, blah, blah, blah, Alex, blah, cars, blah, Alex. Of course in a way it made sense. He really only had two things in his life that he loved, cars and Alex.  His character was almost one dimensional from his point of view but from her point of view we, as the readers, saw how much her injury took a toll on him. Or at least that’s what I saw.

I really enjoyed this book, it was dark, it was sweet, it had bitter moments but overall it was damn near delicious-- just like a chocolate covered cranberry.  I will reread this book, I may wait until I’m in the mood for a darker book but it will definitely be reread at some point.

P.S. I didn’t know there were more books in this series! I MUST read them…now!





No comments:

Post a Comment