Monday, May 2, 2016

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate 1) -- Gail Carriger

I was introduced to this series by my co-worker. She just knew this would be my cup of tea. (An oddly fitting phrase since the books are set in Victorian Era England.) Vampires and Werewolves are integrated into society. They hold positions in Buckingham Palace to being regular "people".

For our main character, a spinster of 25, Alexia is not normal. She is blunt and sarcastic and defies societal norms. On top of all those quirks, she is also soulless. What's that you ask? She is a preternatural who has the ability with just one touch to take away the supernatural. I.E. if she is attacked by a vampire or werewolf they are human-like and mortal for the duration of their contact.

You might wonder why this little tidbit is important, well it's pretty much the basis for the entire series and much of this book. Hence the title SOULLESS.

Soulless takes you inside the world of a social outcast, a werewolf alpha and a vampires. Alexia has no qualm about pushing the limits to find out what she needs. The deeper she digs the more she realizes that the problem is more than that, it is a catastrophe--at least it would be in the eyes of the supernatural. I don't want to spoil the twist and story, so I won't say any more on the plot.

I highly reccomend this series, it it witty and smart, but also has twists that you don't see coming. That being said I do like the next book better.

No comments:

Post a Comment