Monday, May 2, 2016

The Next Contestant--Dani Evans




On a scale of 1 to unhealthy relationship, this book is the all mighty ruler of unhealthy relationships. The whole time I was reading this book I kept thinking "seriously?!" A sex game for points in a fraternity, I can see that. An overprotective brother, I can see that. Lying about who you are so you can date someone; have a hard time believing that. I mean it literally sets the whole relationship up on a lie. Then there is the frustration when Kimber get mad at Jax for doing things to keep their relationship a secret once the truth is discovered. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GET CAUGHT IN A LIE, DON'T LIE! It seems so simple, but it also seems like no-one in this book learned this lesson as a child. I think the main characters of this book thought "hmm, this is something horrendously stupid--I must do it!"

The author’s logic was okay, I mean feasibly some of these things could have happened, but not to one person all around the same time.  Also, there is the over protective brother--understandable so due to Kimber’s past-- but it was just so over the top that it was just plain stupid.  Then there is the frat that is VIDEOTAPING the sex-capades. Sure all the girls are literally asking for it, at least they covered the rape lawsuits that would come from that, but none of the girl knew they were being filmed that does not seem like it would work for their benefit if some of the footage got leaked.  None of what they were doing was okay, verbal permission or not and a book that basically glorifies it in the male point of view is not okay.

I keep trying to find good points about this story but I can’t find many. When Jax and Kimber are together they are actually kind of cute, if you overlook the lying and secret relationship that is. I just could not enjoy this book, the level of stupidity of the characters rivals very few books. Would not recommend, would not read again.  It was just that…not good, not good at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment