Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Mud Vein--Tarryn Fisher


 There hasn't been a book in a long time that while I'm reading I think "this is an amazing book". Most books I find flaws or start nit-picking at where the book will go. Tarryn Fisher kept me pulled into this book; I hung on every word she wrote.

Senna the main character is numb, numb to the world, numb to herself. But as a reader you are anything but numb. You absorb all the feelings that she neglects, that Senna pushes away.

While the book may be highly improbable, what with the dual abduction and the craziness that happens, somehow while reading it I was convinced that the story was actually happening. The charater development was amazing, Senna went from this shell of a person to someone who faces her past and rights her wrongs.  Isaac is more of a support character, he may be a huge part of the plot, but his entire role was to lead Senna to facing her life and everything had happened. I really just was enthralled by this book.

I think what Senna goes through in this book is an analogy of herself. Senna is locked inside herself projecting a cold front, refusing others care or compassion or love. In the present, she is locked in a building surrounded by ice and snow, unable to get help. One circumstance locked her up and one unlocks her.

It made me think, while Nick saw her Mud Vein, while Isaac only saw her. People can be viewed so differently by others. I just am reeling from finishing this book; I'm still running on the adrenaline and endorphins. This book to me was amazing--slightly depressing but amazing all the same.  When I say slightly depressing, I mean this book is one I probably won’t read again because it’s so depressing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment