Monday, March 23, 2015

Soul Rest-- Joey W. Hill




This was my first book of this series (of course I didn't realize that until I had started it but luckily they can be read as standalones). So far the series is truly amazing; Joey W. Hill did an amazing job of weaving this twisted tale. There are so many insignificant things that we don't see or think about but Celeste being the awesome reporter that she is does. Not only that I think it's a very inviting way to reveal hidden clues. Some books you get the feeling of being an idiot because you didn't piece things together. In this book though, everyone but Celeste feels like an idiot, too.

Now, on to the beefy-man-cake that is Leland. He is an Alpha male with a capital A. once a Marine now a police sergeant. He sees Celeste and knows that she has the spark he wants and needs in a relationship. He also knows what he will do to get it. Celeste refusing to submit while being naturally submissive, as you might guess it causes some problems. Those infractions are solved by Leland’s 'master'ful hands. He was a very well written and rounded character.

The book kept bringing up the fact that he is black, I don't mind the description reminders but it just seemed forced at times. If you read the book, you know he's black we don't need to be reminded every few paragraphs. Also, Celeste is told to have a pixie cut in the very beginning but for the life of me I was not picturing her with one. She had longer hair that she loved to wear up out of her face. A pixie cut didn't work with who I saw her as. (Obviously the author saw her with a pixie but I couldn't reconcile the two.) There were things like this that made this book read slow to me. I just wasn't as engaged as I wanted to be.

I enjoyed the book, no doubting that, however there was something that stopped me from sinking fully into this book. I don't know what it was, but that's what knocked down the rating for me.


3.5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment